Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Root Vegetable Sallad with Spelt and Feta

I dreamt of pancakes and Holly last night. And of Robert Pattinson, but not in the same dream and I don't remember what it was about.

Holly was making pancakes for breakfast and I tried to convince her that chocolate chip was a perfect match with maple syrup.

I don't think I've ever even eaten chocolate chip pancakes! It was weird, anyhow. That reminds me, I found a recipe for chocolate griddle cakes on Epicurious that seemed absolutely delicious. I have to make them soon. I'm into a very non-healty period of chocolate cravings. I'd like to make (and eat) everything with dark chocolate. Trying to keep myself away from it and in control.

And here to the recipe:
3 dl / 1.3 cups whole spelt (I used barley instead)

200 g / 7 ounces rutabaga (kålrot) (switched this to celeriac, not my favorite, but you have to compromise, right?)

2 large carrots

3 red beets

2 parsnips

2 red onions

2 tablespoons raisins or 4 shredded dried apricots

2 tablespoons fresh thyme

150 g / 5 ounces Feta cheese

Possibly 1 pot fresh mint

Olive oli

Sea salt

Black pepper

Gremolata:

2 cloves of garlic

Zest from 1 lemon

1/2 dl / 1.7 fl oz chopped parsely

1/2 dl / 1.7 fl oz olive oil

1. Put the oven on 225° C / 440 °F. Peel and cut the root vegetables in inch sized cubes. Peel the onion and slice it in pieces.

2. Put the vegetables in a roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil over them (approx 3 tablespoons) and mix. Season with sea salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes. In the mean time, cook the spelt according to the instructions on the box.

3. Peel and grate/squeeze the garlic for the gremolata. Mix with lemon zest and parsely. Stir in the oil.

4. Mix the warm vegetabels with spelt, raisins and thyme. Taste with some more salt and pepper. Put in a serving bowl and crumb the Feta cheese over. Serve with mint leaves and the gremolata.



No comments: